Friday, March 23, 2012

I still wish "couch" was the healthier option...

This morning I began my "Couch to 5K" training. If you haven't heard of it, I'm not going to explain it for you--just go read about it here. My guess is that it sort of rings a bell with you.

I first heard the catchy little phrase being tossed around at our gym, but at that point I was still morally opposed to running. Okay, not morally, but physically and emotionally. Listen, I never cheated in school, except when it came to running the mile in gym. Okay, that's pretty sad.

Anyway, I was recently talking to a classmate and she mentioned that she and her boyfriend were starting their own Couch to 5K training, and she told me about the website I linked above. I checked it out and realized that it really didn't look that difficult. I can run 60 second spurts, and then work my way up.

And so, that brings me to today. I got out there in this gorgeous weather (seriously, perfect running weather), and I ran for the first time since high school. It actually felt really good! I'm pleasantly surprised!

My only problem (and one that I have been having lately on my walks) is that my ankles hurt. I'm wondering if it is an arch issue, or just a joint issue since I don't usually use my ankles in that way. It's a pretty sharp pain--more than just sore. If you have any suggestions, let me know! I have another pair of sneakers that I will try tomorrow and see if the problem persists, or maybe I just need to give it a few weeks.

Obviously, I still wish "couch" was the healthier option, but I think I'm going to like this running business once I get myself going!

No, I'm not in pain, it's my "GRRR, I'm strong!" face (post workout)

1 comment:

Erin said...

How old are your shoes? Tennis shoes/ running shoes/ sneakers...whatever you call them- wear out faster on the inside than on the outside, so they can look like they are still in good shape but the support is gone! You might try getting a pair of running shoes with better support...that may help the ankle issue! :) I wear Asics and love them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...