Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Ryan's Farmers Market


I have a new favorite place to shop--Ryan's Farmers Market. I have driven past it a million times and I finally stopped in last Thursday after work. So glad I did! The owner, Mike Ryan, personally introduced himself to me and showed me around the store. It is the largest indoor farmers market in the Capital District, and they have been around for 93 years! I love that they are open every day (except Sunday, bless their souls), that they have produce and meats from as many local farmers as possible, and that (from what I can tell so far) they are some of the sweetest people I've met. Last week I picked up a pint of cherry tomatoes, a bag of red roasting potatoes, and a pint of strawberries for just over $5. Today I stopped in and got a head of leafy green lettuce, 2 tomatoes, 2 peaches, a red pepper, a bag of snap peas, a grapefruit, 3 apples, 4 slices of dried papaya, 2 pounds of organic chicken, and 2 bricks of local cheese for....$16.34! Honestly, that's insane. I feel like going to Hannaford tomorrow and trying to buy the exact same food--wonder what my price would be! Even if it does cost more to shop at Ryan's (which I doubt), I feel so good about shopping somewhere that supports local/small farms, strives to provide fresh organic produce, and does it all while a genuine smile. I can only say great things about this place, and I am psyched to make it one of my regular places to shop!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...