Friday, April 29, 2011

A Very Good Day

Today was just an all around good day. It began around 6am when I got out of bed and planned on working on a paper that was due later today. (Un)fortunately, I decided to check in on some of the blogs I like to read and was reminded that the Royal Wedding was this morning! How I forgot that, I'm not really sure, considering James and I watched every imaginable show that was on about it last weekend. So, I ended up watching ABC News instead of working on my paper. Personally, I thought Kate looked beautiful, and I was excited to see that my friend Alexa and I were right about the style of dress she would wear! Ends up her dress is pretty much my fantasy wedding dress (minus the long train and a little bit of the poof). I'm getting off track. So my very good day started with a happy moment in world history. Contrary to what my dad had to say about the whole thing, I do think that this wedding is important history and I do have respect for the Royal Family, whatever their role in British government might be.

Anyway, around 8:30 I headed to the library to finish up two papers that were due today. Yup, I was truly getting them done the day they were due--that's life! Around 10:30, however, I was finished! By finished, I mean with the entire semester. Actually, the entire academic year--my first year of graduate school. Done. Like I said, it was a really good day.

Around the same time I finished my papers, my friend Ashley showed up. Little did she know, we were throwing a miniature baby shower for her during lunch today before our last Macro class. So, in order to keep her busy, we went for a walk down to Washington Park and got a sneak peek at all of the tulips that are just about ready for Tulip Fest next weekend! It was nice to enjoy the flowers without the crowds, and I made a promise to try to spend more time in the park this summer. It's really a lovely little spot and it was actually really quiet and peaceful midday.



Around noon we arrived back at school and surprised Ashley with cake, flowers and balloons. We gabbed over lunch and cake before class started.

As we were chatting, another woman from my class asked me if I'd lost weight recently, saying that she noticed I look slimmer and has been meaning to compliment me. I was really flattered and it meant a lot, as it's the first compliment I've received since working out at the gym for the past three months. I'm not complaining. I actually haven't lost a lot of weight, and to the people who see me every day I probably don't look very different. But, it is nice to have hard work validated with a comment like that!

Class commenced with a guest speaker who spoke about legislation and lobbying, which was right up my alley! I learned a lot and I'm looking forward to checking out some of the websites she recommended. After about an hour long presentation, we got out of class early, and for the first time in a long time I spent the afternoon on the couch watching some TV. It felt good to relax and know that I had absolutely nothing pressing to do.

The night ended with a cheese fondue dinner at Tabitha and Don's house ("our couple") followed by strawberry shortcake. It was so nice to spend a relaxing evening with friends.

See? Wasn't it a very good day? And now I have a beautiful weekend to look forward to! Sunny and warm tomorrow and Sunday--what a way to start my summer!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...