Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Someday, when I have a baby...

I was just meeting with a group from my Macro class. We are working on putting together an action plan for a Boston area hospital facing some issues with their obstetric/gynecology unit. Well, all that talk of obstetrics got us talking about our own feelings about labor and delivery. I started telling the girls that I want to have my babies at home (if possible) because I want to have a natural, peaceful birth without the pressure that comes with being in a hospital. You may disagree with me but I believe that, no matter how nice your doctors are, at the end of the day a hospital is a business and they want to make money. For my typically optimistic self, I know this thought process is out of character, but when it comes to my body and the way I'm going to bring my children into the world, I can't be too careful.

I guess I started really getting interested in the idea of home-birth after watching the documentary "The Business of Being Born"
There are a lot of good points made, and I believe that it is something we should really think about before just accepting the status quo. Most times I tell people I want to have a home-birth, they automatically ask about how safe that is...do they realize what a silly question that is? Humans have been having babies outside of hospitals and without doctors for millions of years longer than they've been doing it with doctors. Yes, the infant mortality rate has dropped with hospitals and doctors, but that doesn't mean that, with the help of a mid-wife, a woman experiencing a healthy pregnancy cannot deliver at home.

Of course, I'm a few years away from having a baby, but it's something to think about, and I'd love to hear your thoughts!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...