Friday, December 23, 2011

Our Engagement

I'm sure you all have been anxiously awaiting the story of how James asked me to be his wife. I've been enjoying my freedom from the semester, and the joy of being newly engaged, so much that I haven't had time to sit down and tell our tale. But, the time has come, so here goes.

It all started Saturday, December 10th. We had planned to head to NYC that morning to see my brother and his family as well as one of our dear friends who live there. I hadn't been feeling great for about a week, and I felt it coming to a head Friday night, but I was intent upon going to New York running nose or not! Well, around 3:00 Saturday morning, I was ready to change my mind. My congestion had moved to my ears, I had a wicked headache, and I was just a mess. We decided to call off our trip.

I spent Saturday recuperating. We went to the doctor where (to no surprise) I was diagnosed with an ear infection, and spent the rest of the day on the couch watching The Help and eating soup.

Sunday came and I was still feeling cruddy. I didn't go to church, but stayed in my pjs again most of the morning. I finally showered and we took a walk around our neighborhood and a drive up into the mountains. We got home in the late afternoon and I slept for a few hours.

When I woke up, I was craving tuna fish, so James made me some and after devouring the entire bowl-full, I felt much much better. Who knew! Tuna!

We decided we would turn on Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, a movie James and I watched together when we first started dating. James asked me to go out to the living room to put it in, and that he would be right out. I got it ready and snuggled up on the couch.

A few minutes later, James emerged from the den with something in his hand. He said, "Look, I got us one more ornament for the tree. Isn't it pretty?"

I could see that it was a silver bell. He handed it to me and I took a better look at it. Suddenly, everything registered! Inscribed on the bell was Will You Marry Me, Jennifer? and my beautiful ring was hanging from the top.
"Oh my gosh, oh my gosh!" I started sort of shouting and crying and shaking all at the same time! I hugged my James and after a few tears he got down on one knee (asked me what finger to put the ring on) and asked me to be his wife.

Of course, I said YES!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful story! I especially like the part where James asked you what finger to put the ring on! Can't wait to see you guys, and the ring!!, next week.

Have a great holiday!
Erica, Chris and Judah!

tiff@thecoffeehouse said...

such a neat story. not to mention ... the ring. whoa! love it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...