Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Day Two: Snow

Today was a snow day for my roommate, Codie, and I. I went to bed last night knowing that I was probably not going to work today, which I was completely okay with. This being the second week of the semester, I am still getting my bearing, and I am trying so hard to be a better student this semester! That means attempting to do all of my reading and getting a head start on papers and assignments. 

I got up at my usual 7am this morning. I might have slept in a bit, but I (1) like to stay on a schedule and (2) needed to move my car to the other side of the road. I pulled jeans and boots on and bundled up to head outside, shovel in hand. I knew it was going to be quite a job, particularly when I saw the snow-covered road that had not been plowed yet. I don't know why I even attempted to try after seeing the road, but being the law-abiding citizen that I am, I wanted to follow the parking rules (even in half a foot plus of heavy snow). It looked like I was going to get somewhere until I hit the heavy snow in the middle of the road that had piled up on either side of crisscrossing tire tracks. 

Out of seemingly nowhere came a young man who did not look prepared to be digging out cars. He offered to give me a push and I accepted. I knew our efforts were futile, but he really wanted to help. We tried for a bit, but ended up pushing my car back into the spot from which I had just dug it free. Oh well, I'll be parked on the wrong side of the road today. Looking around me, that didn't seem like it was going to be an issue. The man who helped me to push my car hardly waited for me to thank him, but I shouted a thanks after him as he jogged down the street to help a couple to dig their car out of the banks. What a guy. I was impressed, and his willingness to help inspired me to give my gift for the day. 

Since I already had my shovel out with me, I decided to clear the front steps and walk of our apartment house. While digging out my car I had seen Pat, our property manager, pull into the yard so I knew he was here to get going on the snow-blowing and shoveling. Not only does he have to care for our house, but also the house next door as well as some other properties in the city. The least I could do was clear our walk and make his job a little easier. Inspired by some of Cami's gifts and other stories on the 29 Gifts website, I wanted this gift to be anonymous. So, I shoveled as quickly as I could and finished before Pat emerged from the parking lot behind the house. I hope my gift made his day and little easier and reminded him how much his hard work is appreciated by his tenants (or at least this tenant)!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...