Saturday, December 10, 2011

Holiday Traditions: Part 1

For the next few days, I've decided to have a few guests here sharing their holiday traditions.

I'm going to kick us off with one of my favorite holiday traditions that my family always does on Christmas Eve.

I don't know when it started or whose idea it was (I should ask about that this year!), but for as long as I can remember, my mom would make a birthday cake for Jesus on Christmas Eve. After dinner, which always consisted of finger foods that we ate in the living room in front of the Christmas tree, Mom would bring out a cake with a candle on it and we'd sing "Happy Birthday" to Jesus.
 It's a simple tradition, really, but it always meant so much to me to be reminded that this night was not just about the family we'd see and the presents we'd receive the next day. No, this night had a greater meaning and a more special purpose.

So, after the fun of singing carols in front of the Christmas tree and hanging our stockings in anticipation of Saint Nicholas' visit, my parents took the time to remind us of the Baby who we were celebrating and to, like the wise men from the East, pay Him homage with our own gift of a candle and a song.

1 comment:

momnextdoor said...

What a great tradition!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...