Monday, September 5, 2011

Sunday Thanks: Brave Souls

I had the great privilege of seeing "The Help" on Saturday night. Wow. What a story. I cannot begin to tell you how moved I was by the courage of the women portrayed. I don't know if the book (which came before the movie, of course) is based on any true events, but even if it isn't one can be sure that the stories are not far from the truth, and there have been people throughout history who have stood up for what is right even when they stand against great odds.
As we drove home from the theater, I said to James that I hope I would be willing to do what Skeeter, a young white woman who disagrees with the way black maids are being treated, does by reaching out to the black maids in her community to tell their stories. But, I honestly don't know if I would. Aibileen and Minny are just as brave as they tell their stories, knowing that the result, during that time in history in the deep south, be their imprisonment or death.

Without those brave enough to cross racial lines, question "the way things are," and demand something better, we might still be living in a country of segregation and unequal rights. I'm not suggesting that all is well--there is certainly more to be done--but brave souls like those portrayed in "The Help" are the reason that so much has changed, and they are the inspiration to continue to look for ways that we can continue to increase equality for all people.

1 comment:

momnextdoor said...

I haven't seen the movie yet but I read the book and LOVED it! I don't think I could be as brave as her.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...