Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Sunday Thanks: Dad

I'm getting out another "Sunday Thanks" late...it seems like I had more time during the school year than I've had during the summer! But, I didn't want to miss this edition because who I'm thankful for this week is really important: my Dad.
 
I was having a rough week last week and, when in doubt, I call my parents to vent and seek advice. I have to admit, most of the time when I make a call home for tough stuff, I am seeking my mom, but when I called last week, she wasn't around and, considering I called in tears, my dad couldn't just take a message. However, he made me feel so much better and it was nice to have his comforting words for a change.

My dad has always been someone I look up to, and I'm sure quite a few of my personality traits come from him. We've never really had the "daddy and his little girl" relationship--that dynamic came much more naturally to my sister and him. I used to resent that; I wanted to be his little girl, his princess. But as I've gotten older, I've realized that that sort of relationship wouldn't have been authentic--I'm not that type and he wasn't going to push me into that role.

I don't want to speak for my dad, but I think it was probably difficult for him to figure me out when I was younger. I was moody and hard-headed and sometimes just plain mean. I've always wanted to be my own person and prove that I am strong and smart. I wasn't sure that my dad understood that, but in the past several years I've watched him and I grow in our own ways and our relationship has blossomed into one of mutual respect and friendship. I don't just love my dad because he's my dad, I like him because he's a smart, funny, charming guy who I enjoy spending time with.
My dad was there for me this week in a way that I haven't always allowed him to be, and it felt really good to share some of my struggles with him and get his feedback. I love him so much and I am so very thankful for him every day!

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Loved this post, Jenny. Isn't it funny how our relationships with our parents evolve as we get older

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...