Sunday, April 10, 2011

Sunday Thanks: Youth

Today I'm thinking about how blessed I am to be young! As you know, my internship this year is in an assisted living facility, and most of my clients are well into their 80s, 90s and even 100s! Now, being thankful for youth doesn't mean that I dread being old, but it does mean that I appreciate all of the abilities that I have and the long life that lies ahead of me. Actually, it is my clients who make me even more thankful for youth because they let me see what possibility and potential I have. Of course, they also remind me of how young I am whenever they can, just to make sure I start to take it for granted. They are right, though. You are only young once (unless you believe in reincarnation, which I don't), so you better live it up and realize the gift that health, energy and clear skin* is, in fact, fleeting.

A lot of people ask me about getting married and having kids. After all, I'm 25 now (oh my!), and James is 29. My answer: "Eh, we're young! We've got time!" Now, we don't want to wait forever, but at the same time I'm really enjoying this time of my life. I like being in a serious relationship with someone I plan on loving forever, but right now we're doing the things that we know will need to take a backseat when that little one does come along. There's a lot to look forward to, don't get me wrong, but being this age makes me want to live in the moment and soak it up while I can. That way, when I do reach my 90s, I can know that, while I'm not young any more, I enjoyed every second of it when I was.

*One of my residents has been having a hard time with some blemishes and age spots on her skin lately. Every week she reminds me: "I never had a blemish on my face in my whole life! Why now? I was so attractive! Oy, it's a shame, really." Poor dear--she's 101 years old (or maybe she's 96...no one knows for sure). Oh, and while she may be one of our oldest residents, she describes everyone else as "that old lady" or "that old man." I love her. Just love her.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...