Sunday, January 16, 2011

"Sunday Thanks": James

Every Sunday, I'm going to choose one thing/person/event in my life that I'm thankful for and tell you a little bit about it. And tonight, I'm feeling most thankful for my boyfriend, James (and since he doesn't read my blog anyway, he won't mind that I brag about him a little bit:)...). We just had a great weekend attending a Matthew Kelly seminar at my home church in Newtown, CT. We were joined by my parents, my sister and her boyfriend, and one of my best friends and her fiance (plus another 600 people). It was a great experience, and one that I would like to write about in a separate post once I have time to look over my notes and let it all settle in. For now, back to James.

 Thankful I started 2011 with this guy!

On Thursday, I wrenched my back pretty badly while I was cleaning one of my "client's" houses. I thought I would be flat on my back for the next day or two, but I was well enough to keep moving around and resting as much as I could. I had to clean again Friday morning, and by the time the evening came around and James and I were hitting the road for home, my back was not in very good shape. After a long day of work, James agreed to drive home instead of me (usually I drive when we go to see my family and he drives when we go to see his). I woke up in the middle of the night Friday to more pain. Without question, James woke up with me, rubbed my back and got more pillows to make me comfortable.

Saturday came along and, with it, the seminar. I have to admit that I was a little worried that the day could rub him the wrong way. James is definitely a spiritual man, and we share a lot about our faith. We go to church together every week and he is really open to and accepting of my faith (which he considers deeper than his, but I think is just different). James is a deep thinker and he doesn't just take things for face value--he wants to understand "why" and "how." I really admire him for this, and he has a way of challenging me without ever disrespecting me. He told me when we were getting ready Saturday morning that he was looking forward to the seminar and that he was ready to go into it with an open mind. Phew! Since I had sort of just signed him up for it without too much consultation, I was thankful he was feeling good about the day. I'm also thankful that he goes with some of my crazy ideas and trusts me enough to know that even in my impulsiveness I have his best interest at heart. As the day progressed, James and I shared our thoughts and I feel like it brought us closer in ways we'll continue to discover for a long time. I am so thankful that James is the sort of man who is humble enough to continue learning.

This morning as we prepared to leave, knowing that my back was hurting again, James packed both of our bags and put everything in the car. I'm thankful that I didn't even feel the need to double-check that he had everything--I just trusted he did. He drove (again), so I could lean my seat back and rest. On the way home we talked about the weekend and some of the things that had come up, and he listened to what I had to say. In fact, he asked for my opinion. I'm thankful I have a man in my life who knows I am smart and strong, and who appreciates those traits as much as he appreciates and loves my delicate femininity. One of the things we talked about is our friendship--that it is what really binds us and is the foundation on which we build the rest of our relationship. I am thankful that James sees me as a peer, a confidant, a jokester, and a lover. I am thankful that we can share our potty humor as easily as we share secrets, tears and romantic moments.

And so today, January 16, 2011, I am so thankful for my love, my James. What are you thankful for today?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...